• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

New Dress Regs 🤣

kratz

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
It's not an ol' wives tale. In my early days, I was called up to the trade advisory's office. The CPO1 was ready to charge me for shaving my beard and looking different than my ID. The only part that saved my rear was the ID office appointment had been backed up and I hadn't changed / updated the ID yet. Another few days and I'd have extras ect... added to my career.

btrudy

Reaction score
It's not an ol' wives tale. In my early days, I was called up to the trade advisory's office. The CPO1 was ready to charge me for shaving my beard and looking different than my ID. The only part that saved my rear was the ID office appointment had been backed up and I hadn't changed / updated the ID yet. Another few days and I'd have extras ect... added to my career.

I think one thing should be perfectly clear here: the fact that a person has been threatened with a charge for violating a "regulation" is not actually at all proof that said regulation exists. Far far too many people go through their career never bothering to check regulations before acting, basing their actions on what they remember having been told once, whether or not said memory was either faulty, or just someone else who spouted B.S. without checking said regulations.

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I think one thing should be perfectly clear here: the fact that a person has been threatened with a charge for violating a "regulation" is not actually at all proof that said regulation exists. Far far too many people go through their career never bothering to check regulations before acting, basing their actions on what they remember having been told once, whether or not said memory was either faulty, or just someone else who spouted B.S. without checking said regulations.
I had a Snr NCM last week tell me that there was no rule about hands in pockets in the dress regs... I politely pointed them in the direction of Chapter 2 Section 2 Para 2.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
The regulation did exist before beardforgen. Note d)

CBA7CD02-1DB7-4712-A861-C9ECF8C63229.jpeg

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
I had a Snr NCM last week tell me that there was no rule about hands in pockets in the dress regs... I politely pointed them in the direction of Chapter 2 Section 2 Para 2.
You could legitimately fill tetrabytes of data at Tunney's Pasture with 60 years worth testimonials from troops who were threatened, admonished, reprimanded, or punished by Snr NCOs, Warrant Officers, or Officers that did not bother to read the regulations they claim they were enforcing.

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
The regulation did exist before beardforgen. Note d)

View attachment 72477
That strikes a point that is often missed. Many people learn a rule when they join, and fail to keep up to date on changes to the rules as time progresses.

In my occupation we have many layers of rules from the World Meteorological Organization, down to the section level SOPs. The rules often change, and people fail to keep up with them... In my inspections over the last four years I have found a shockingly large number of outdated publications in offices, and oddly some are kept because the leader liked the older rules more... After a brief chat, the old pubs tend to disappear.

Remius

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
That strikes a point that is often missed. Many people learn a rule when they join, and fail to keep up to date on changes to the rules as time progresses.

In my occupation we have many layers of rules from the World Meteorological Organization, down to the section level SOPs. The rules often change, and people fail to keep up with them... In my inspections over the last four years I have found a shockingly large number of outdated publications in offices, and oddly some are kept because the leader liked the older rules more... After a brief chat, the old pubs tend to disappear.
Absolutely. But the tales of people being told to get their IDs updated we’re based on a time when that was a rule.

rmc_wannabe

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score

This is one reason I am so thankful for manditory annual inspections in my sphere of influence

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
This is one reason I am so thankful for manditory annual inspections in my sphere of influence
As do we.

I get to travel around the country telling people what they are doing wrong, and what to do to fix it, without having to do any of the work. 😁

Edit: One of life's great pleasures is getting to say "I'm from Ottawa, I'm here to help", before making things more difficult.

btrudy

Reaction score
Well, to be fair, if it happened last week, Monday was when they removed the prohibition against hands in pockets from the accessible version of the dress instructions, although the actual change isn't coming into force until Sept.

Furniture

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, if it happened last week, Monday was when they removed the prohibition against hands in pockets from the accessible version of the dress instructions, although the actual change isn't coming into force until Sept.
The conversation was about how there "never was" a rule, but it was funny that it came up the week that the rule actually changed.

Eye In The Sky

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
The conversation was about how there "never was" a rule, but it was funny that it came up the week that the rule actually changed.

According to the powers that be in my neck of the woods, the dress Reg changes aren’t in effect until 06 sep.

My Chief and I both agree that the change to 265 was done poorly in early Aug; it’s now “in effect” even though it’s not in effect. 🤷🏻‍♂️