• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Future Armour

GR66

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Just the GDLS part makes it more appealing. For better or worse GD is Canada's main manufacturer of armoured vehicles.
To me it would make more sense to hold off and see who is selected for the US Army's Optionally Manned Fighting Vehicle (OMFV) program to replace their Bradleys. RFP's are scheduled for release next month. Ideally we'd request to be part of the review process with the idea of procuring the same vehicle as the US for sake of interoperability. Even better if the GDLS bid wins and our participation could lead to at least a portion of the production taking place in London.

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
OMFV competition info on the Lynx submission:

Rheinmetall reveals renderings of OMFV Lynx – Below The Turret Ring

I found this section particularly interesting....
While the Lynx is typically offered with either the Mauser MK30-2/ABM a gun or one an externally powered Wotan chain gun, Rheinmetall signed a Master Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with the US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command Armaments Center (DEVCOM AC) to integrate the 50 x 228 mm XM913 chain gun into the Lynx. This gun – which will be made by the US Army’s own Picatinny Arsenal – is understood to be the Army’s favored weapon system for the OMFV. The XM913 gun can be replaced by the smaller 30 x 173 mm XM813 gun – even in field, if the crew has access to a recovery vehicle or similar device capable of lifting the heavy gun.
The US Army favors the 50 x 228 mm caliber for its next generation IFV due to its increased combat range. In order to accurately hit targets at such longer ranges, the Lynx as configured for the OMFV program features a meteorological mast with crosswind sensor mounted at the rear of the turret. The 50 x 228 mm catridge is derived from the Oerlikon-designed 35 x 228 mm catridge, which is commonly used on anti-air artillery applications. The greater caliber offers significantly more payload, but it contains a nearly identical propellant volume; hence the kinetic energy – and thus anti-armor performance – is believed to remain similar to that of a 35 mm APFSDS round.
The point that the AP of the 35mm is the same as the 50mm is interesting. It makes me wonder about the 50mm and if its really that important. The extra payload is great but that also means you are likely halving the amount of ammo carried.

KevinB

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Reaction score
OMFV competition info on the Lynx submission:

Rheinmetall reveals renderings of OMFV Lynx – Below The Turret Ring

I found this section particularly interesting....

The point that the AP of the 35mm is the same as the 50mm is interesting. It makes me wonder about the 50mm and if its really that important. The extra payload is great but that also means you are likely halving the amount of ammo carried.
The parent case is the important aspect for ammo size, while the weight of the projectile increases the actual ammunition space dense grow - as it doesn't neck down as much for the 35mm as the 50mm.
It's like 7.62x51mm and 6.8x51mm - both fit in the same belts (as does 6.5mm Creedmore and .260 Remington) and magazines due to the same parent case.

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Well the winner of the light tank in tbe US.....drum roll please GDLS!

Maybe an interesting idea for Canada?

Atleast the winner is GDLS....ITB will not be a problem if CA goes this way. But as I pointed out in a snarky way elsewhere....let's buy the Euro one. :)
I have read we have our eye on this project, after all we have Cavalry Regiments now too ;)

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
I have read we have our eye on this project, after all we have Cavalry Regiments now too ;)
Where have you read this? I would love to read this as well... lol

I'm not seeing how useful that it would be for a cavalry regiment myself, as the gun is really for infantry fire support.

suffolkowner

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Reaction score
Couple questions
A- Ajax vs. ASCOD, was/is the ASCOD as f'ed up but the Spanish and Austrians kept a lid on it?
B- What makes this any more appealing to Canada than CV90105 ASCOD LT105, etc?

For starters, an Ajax is min 10 tons heavier than an ASCOD. New turret design, different suspension, different engine, etc... Ajax is a derivative from the ASCOD but certainly not an ASCOD.
I think 3 ft shorter too

MilEME09

Army.ca Fixture
Reaction score
Where have you read this? I would love to read this as well... lol

I'm not seeing how useful that it would be for a cavalry regiment myself, as the gun is really for infantry fire support.
Read it on the DWAN, related to F2025

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Ascod 31 ft
Pizarro / Ulan 22 ft
Ajax 25 ft

Ascod 26 to 28 tonnes
Ajax 38 to 42 tonnes