• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Banned User Blocked Actions

ModlrMike

Army.ca Veteran
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I was just reading the stats for Dec, and I'm struck that we went from about 75 banned user actions in Apr 10 to over 48000 in Dec 11. What's up with that? I presume some can be banned IP log in attempts, but are some more nefarious attempts to penetrate the site? I see most other stats remained constant.

Hurricane

Reaction score
Would that also include unauthorized attempts to view a thread? Last week someone had posted a link to another thread and when I clicked on it, it specified I was unauthorized to view that thread.

McG

Army.ca Legend
Reaction score
Maybe it was all KevinB's attempts to log-in while caught by an accidental IP ban?

More seriously, it might just be a sign of greater activity on the part of some spam IPs that we've banned - nothing specifically targeted at us.

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
Mike, that statistic jumped out at me as well, and I think it's a combination of factors. Spam bots and real live spammers are definitely on the rise. As a result we have created many new ban triggers, some of which cover entire networks or service providers. That in turn causes an increase in both blocked spammers and false positives. Overall, that causes the number of banned actions to jump up - apparently by quite a bit!

Hurricane, the count only includes attempted access from a user/address that has been banned.

Hurricane

Reaction score
Mike Bobbitt said:
Hurricane, the count only includes attempted access from a user/address that has been banned.

OK thank you for clarifying. On another note, are there certain threads that Jr Members such as myself are not authorized to view?

larry Strong

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hurricane said:
OK thank you for clarifying. On another note, are there certain threads that Jr Members such as myself are not authorized to view?
Nope

Scott

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
Well there are Staff threads...but the members who have permission there should be pretty self explanatory.

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
That message is generic, it also appears when you try to access a thread that has been deleted, merged, etc. Or when you're truly not supposed to see a specific thread. :)