• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian navy's hunt for new sub to replace Collins class

Underway

Army.ca Veteran
Donor
Reaction score
That - in my crayon brain - is a good first step.
1655467897599.png

Australia's going to (or have to) refit all the Collins to keep them going until the next generation UK reactor/sub is ready to go as all signs point to it being UK derived even though that makes little sense to me. What would make more sense would be to share the reactor between the US/UK/AUS. The UK is having a hard enough time keeping its small production running
I think that might be a good argument in favour of building the reactors in the UK. Smaller production means Aus orders are more easily fit into a schedule, gives the UK some breathing room between their own subs without losing the expertise, and ensures continuity of the program. We know the US will keep building. The UK getting an order sheet might be just what they need for nuke program stability.

Kirkhill

Army.ca Myth
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Aussies on British nuke courses.

It would make sense.

The Brits are reliant on Yank technology. If the Aussies are happy with the Brit technology it leaves the Yanks with a tech cut-out between their world and their allies. They don't have to expose everything they know.